Intonation in singing is the accuracy or precision of pitch when singing. It is the ability to match the pitch of a note accurately and consistently. Intonation is an essential skill for singers to cultivate if they want to produce clear, beautiful tones.
In the Hindustani style of singing, intonation is an important factor in conveying emotion and conveying the message of the song. The intonation of a Hindustani vocalist can vary from a melancholic sweetness to a powerful and intense sound. Through the use of intonation, the artist is able to communicate a wide range of emotions and feelings to the listener. In addition, intonation helps to define the melodic structure of a Hindustani song, as it is often used to emphasize certain notes and phrases. Intonation also helps to create a sense of continuity and flow in performance, as well as helping to create contrast and interest.
Here are a few tips to improve intonation, especially for a Hindustani singer.
1. Listen to professional singers and immerse yourself in the music. Listen to their intonation or pitching and try to imitate it. You can practice this by singing along with the singer of original songs on the Riyaz app and correcting your pitch instantly as you sing.
2. Practice “sa ka Riyaz” or smart tanpura on the Riyaz app. This will help you stay in tune and become more aware of your pitch. The visual feedback you get on the Riyaz app while singing helps you to master your pitching/intonation
3. Experiment with different vocal techniques such as vibrato, portamento, and ornamentation to add emotional expression to your singing.
4. Make sure that you’re breathing correctly while singing. This will help you maintain a consistent pitch and create a more pleasing sound.
5. Work on your coordination and muscle control. Practising exercises such as lip trills and vocal warm-ups can help you strengthen your vocal cords and improve your intonation.
6. Record yourself singing and listen back. This will allow you to identify any areas that need improvement and give you an idea of how you sound from an objective point of view. You could also use the Riyaz app to visually get feedback instantly as you sing.