Vocal articulation is the shaping of individual syllables and words within a song. It involves combining the correct consonants and vowels, using the lips, tongue, and jaw to add emphasis, clarity, and emotion to the lyrics. Good vocal articulation can make the lyrics of a song more meaningful and powerful.
Here are 5 simple tips to improve vocal articulation while singing
1. Practice speaking exercises: Speaking exercises can help you develop muscle memory and coordination of your lips, tongue, and jaw to sound more articulate when singing. Try speaking tongue twisters, or just speaking a phrase or word slowly and with intention, focusing on the shape of your mouth and the way your tongue moves.
2. Listen closely: Listen closely to recordings of yourself singing and note any areas where you could improve your articulation. Focus on the clarity of each word, and practice enunciating them more clearly.
3. Use good posture: Good posture helps you to project your voice and to be more articulate. Stand up straight with your head up and your shoulders back.
4. Sing with a friend: Singing with a friend is a great way to practice articulation. Listen to each other closely and give feedback to help each other become more articulate.
5. Warm up your voice: Take some time to warm up your voice before singing. This will help you to relax your vocal muscles and allow for better articulation. The Riyaz app is the most popular app with 1000s vocal exercises besides a simple 2-minute warm-up lesson.